The Student News Site of Lake Shore High School

Green and White

• December 9Winter Sports have begun. Come support your student athletes!

• November 102nd Quarter ends January 20, 2016!

• November 10Winter recess is December 23rd- December 30th!

Outdoor Track Season Highlights

Mr. Connors, Track Coach

The Lake Shore Varsity Track and Field Team is heading toward the end of its very successful season. This year, the team welcomed over 100 high school athletes, and over half of the team’s athletes are new. The season began in early March, and now in almost June, the team is happy to share many personal bests and outstanding performances.

Returning this year are distance runners and captains Natalie Cummings, Mitchell Rushok, Gus Wolf and Adam Ballard who have set new personal records this year in various distance events. The boys and girls’ 4×8 and 4X4 relays have dropped seconds weekly and have earned points for both the boys and girls’ teams. Junior Brian Freebern and sophomore Aiden Vanslyke have shown tremendous growth in the mile, two-mile and 800 meter runs earning top places in various meets.

Junior pole-vaulters, Madison Roncone and August Becker have been holding their own in girls’ pole vault as they attempt to clear heights over 9 feet. Senior Angel Richardson and sophomore Jessica Dunlap have been rocking out the girls’ long and triple jumps with jumps over 16 feet. For the boys’ team, seniors T.J. Kmitch and Connor May and junior Jon Park have seen tremendous success in both jumps. Jon Park jumped over 40-feet in the triple jump at the Jamestown Invite in May.

400-meter runners, Brooks Bourkney, Corey Brown and Brendan Wheeler have routinely ran times below 55 seconds. Newcomer, Lawrence Jenkins, a varsity football player and wrestler, has been earning top spots in both the boys’ 100 and 200 meter-runs. Senior shot and discus thrower, Hunter Borzellieri, is looking to beat his own personal best in the shot this year (he currently holds the school record with 49′).

Finally, the girls’ team also welcomed freshmen Tashawni Cornfield, Jordan and Justine Kranz, Allie Zuidema and Stephanie Mruk. These young ladies have been competing as varsity athletes in meets already.  These names and performances are only a few of the many great athletes on the team.

In addition to strong athletes, the team is proud to have strong students who are heavily involved in the Lake Shore community. These athletes balance school, sports and numerous activities because they understand the importance of having positive and fun experiences in high school. Therefore, the team is able to branch out and welcome various workouts and team-building activities that foster team camaraderie and school pride. This year, the team was delighted to learn “Pound” with Mrs. Kerry Feldmann (a LS math teacher), participate in yoga taught by Mrs. Mary Pratt and utilize various, creative lifting, cardio and plyometric workouts. These activities build stronger athletes with stronger character who leave Lake Shore with positive habits and memories. The team is excited to prepare for end-of-the season ECIC and NYS Sectional Championships as well the opportunity to compete at NYS Track and Field Championships (the team has sent Lake Shore athletes every year since 2008).

The Lake Shore Track and Field Program would like to thank the administration, the wonderful Mrs. Ells (Athletics’ Administrative Assistant), the parents and the athletes who work hard to make positive impressions for both themselves and the Lake Shore Community.