Green and White

Open Mic Night: A Night to Express Yourself

Back to Article
Back to Article

Mathea Riley, Literary Club President (right), Jill DeMaria, Literary Club Vice President (left)

Alex Silfies

On Monday, November 20th, 2017, Lake Shore’s Literary Club held its first Open Mic Night of the school year. Open Mic Night is one of Lake Shore’s most unique and entertaining traditions.

At Open Mic Night, students have the opportunity to share a variety of talents in which they may not be able to express elsewhere, including live music, poetry, and some of which are original pieces of work.

Ms. Morgan, the Literary Club Advisor, explained, “Open Mic Night is an opportunity for creative students to share their talents. There’s music, poetry, and it’s a laid-back evening.”

Mathea Riley, the Literary Club President, said, “Open Mic Night is a night to celebrate artistic expression in a positive environment.”

Musical performances and poetry readings were put on by Lake Shore students: Samm Dubois, Trinity Salatka, Seth Tolsma, Brooks Bourkney, Caleb Cahill, Emma Rinn, Matthew Caple, Mathea Riley, Maggie Chudy, and Lake Shore graduates of the class of 2016: Sam Swinarski and Riely Schuman.

When asked about her favorite part of Open Mic Night, Jillian DeMaria, the Literary Club Vice President, said, “I like the atmosphere. It’s non-judgemental, friendly, and a people get to express themselves in a safe place.”

Dubois, who started participating in Literary Club and Open Mic Nights last year, said that her favorite part is, “hearing what everyone has to say and what they’re going through.” Swinarski, who has been participating in Open Mic Nights for the last six years, said her favorite part of Open Mic Night is, “seeing the different reactions you get from people.”

The night was filled with entertainment, emotion, and talent which makes Open Mic Night such an entertaining and fun event to attend and participate in. Literary Club will host at least two more Open Mic Nights this year. For more information, Literary Club meets every Wednesday during 10th period, where new members are always welcome. People can also follow their Twitter or Instagram accounts @lsliteraryclub.