Green and White

Pink Day

Back to Article
Back to Article

Pink Day

Tori George

On Thursday, October 26 Lake Shore High School took part in a day of pink during red ribbon week.  All of the students were encouraged to wear pink to represent Breast Cancer Awareness month and to show our support for the fight against Breast Cancer.  

The cafeteria showed its support by making pink cookies and serving pink milk and pink applesauce.  There were also pink eagles for the students to sign during their lunch periods.  For every pink eagle signed, GOYA, Foods of Great Lakes NY, donated $2.00 that would go towards Breast Cancer Research.  

According to the American Cancer Society, In 2017 there was an estimated 252,710 women diagnosed with invasive breast cancer, 63,410 women diagnosed with carcinoma, a cancer arising in the epithelial tissue of the skin or of the lining of the internal organs, and 40,610 women who die from Breast Cancer.  

Pink Day was created and organized with the help of student government, leadership club and class office.  Jeffrey Connors, Lake Shore High School student government advisor plays a big part in pink day.  He showed his thought about why it is important for the kids and faculty to show their support for Breast Cancer.  

“It was important because Breast Cancer affects so many people in different ways and there is no cure for it right now.  There is no guarantee someone won’t get it.  Everyone wanted to give awareness to all those at Lake Shore and show support to those with it or fighting it themselves”.  

Connors also said “All seven district buildings were involved, along with custodians, bus garages” and more.  

Overall, pink day was very successful, especially when it came to showing support, spreading awareness and collecting money to help research so hopefully, in the future, a cure for this disease will be found.