Enough is enough

Back to Article
Back to Article

Enough is enough

Students speak out against gun violence at Lake Shore Central school protest

Mackenzie Alvira

As we are all aware of by now, on February 14th, 2018, the second deadliest school shooting in the United States took place at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida, leaving seventeen dead. In fact, three of the ten most deadliest shootings in the United States history have come within the last five months, this included. As a country we need to come together to address this issue. Gun violence is getting out of hand and needs to stop. Innocent lives are being taken and we need to take action in order to prevent such events from occurring.

In the weeks following the shooting in Parkland, Florida, the younger generation has drastically pushed for a change. Marches and protests have taken place across the country. On Wednesday March 14th, 2018, exactly one month following the Parkland shooting, a nationwide walkout took place. At 10 o’clock students and faculty were encouraged to walk out of school and stand outside for seventeen minutes to honor the seventeen that died exactly a month prior. One of the 2,500+ schools that participated in the walkout was Lake Shore High School. Here at Lake Shore student leaders organized participants to stand outside at ten. Despite freezing temperatures, speeches were made to pay respect for the victims. The walkout allowed students to speak out about how they’ve had enough of gun violence in schools. Olivia Alvira, a junior at Lake Shore that spoke during the walkout, stated “Students shouldn’t have to fear going to school, students shouldn’t have to fear that the next lockdown drill, might not be a drill…” This speaks volumes. Being nervous that there is a chance of you getting shot in school, an environment where you should feel safe, is ridiculous. Students need to be reassured that they are safe in schools, and to do that we need to start seeing changes.

The survivors of the Parkland shooting have not only lead our country and the younger generation to stand up against gun violence in schools, but they also started groups called the “Never Again” movement and “We call B.S.” to further emphasize that we as a country need a change. Many survivors of the Parkland shooting have talked to news outlets, spoken to congress and even spoke to President Donald Trump to make it aware that limitations on guns are now a necessity.

Changes are needed. States should be required to perform a background check on every gun owner and on every person that is interested in buying a gun. Background checks ensure that gun owners are responsible and stable enough to be able to handle weapons. Gun laws should require an age restriction on buying a gun. At eighteen years old you are not enough to buy an alcoholic drink, so why is it acceptable to buy a gun? The minimum age for buying a gun should be raised to 21 in all states. Any weapons considered “assault weapons” should be banned. There is no point in having an assault weapon when guns are used for protection and for sport hunting. Also all gun owners should be required to obtain a permit for the gun before purchasing it. Gun laws need to become stricter, so people do not need to worry if they will be shot at any given moment.

It’s good to see the younger generation stepping up and taking action in such a movement and fighting for change to help better the society we live in. Although students are pushing for stricter gun laws, states need to make an effort to provide its citizens with the change we want. Stricter gun laws aren’t meant to take away the right to bear arms, it is meant to put a limitation on the second amendment and make our world a safer place to live in.