School Ground, Battleground

Back to Article
Back to Article

School Ground, Battleground

High school students protest against gun violence and for gun law reform

Nick DiBerardino, Writer

Violence in schools is not an unfamiliar subject, yet the severity of the violence has ranged vastly from district to district, from small scuffles to tragic school shootings. To try and counter this, schools have not only increased the rules they enforce, but the security measures they institute.

A notable example of this is Strawberry Mansion High, one of the most violent high schools in the United States. It’s 94 security cameras have picked up over 49 incidents from fires, to teacher attacks, to cafeteria brawls in the 2012-2013 school year. Despite raised security measures, the school struggles for funding. Schools have also begun to install metal detectors, depending on the area and/or funding. While this school may be an extreme case, it isn’t entirely unique.

In order to try and reduce violent outbursts, schools have been known to try creating a warmer, more welcoming environment. Whether from pressuring more “understanding” behavior from staff to enforcing policies that prohibit any clothing or symbolism that could have violent undertones, the goal is to ultimately reach a passive environment on school grounds.  However, this does raise the question of where would to draw the line. There is violence in superhero stories, so is the next step to ban superman? Most would likely respond no.

Regarding school shootings, many look to federal legislation in order to try and reduce the risk of these events from occurring. Many point out the fact that there is no laws currently forbidding the ownership of a firearm where someone with a history of mental issues lives. More pressure is now on law enforcement to watch for possible “warning signs”. Schools across the country are now changing policies in order to reduce any types of violence.