ECIC’s Track and Field Meet

Back to Article
Back to Article

ECIC’s Track and Field Meet

Junior Becca Perry competing in the steeplechase. Photo taken by Section 6 Runs.

Jessica Dunlap

On Friday May 25th and Saturday May 26th, the Lake Shore Varsity Track and Field team traveled to Williamsville South to compete at ECIC’s (Erie County Interscholastic Conference). ECIC’s is a meet where the top athletes of each team compete and try to earn a spot at Sectionals, which is the state qualifying meet.

This year, “the team is really young due to all the seniors graduating last year”, according to boys head coach, faculty member Jeff Connors. With the team being so young, that is a set back when competing against teams with a lot of veterans, but overall they still did great. Throughout the season, the team worked hard to earn a spot at ECIC’s, and that hard work paid off because 18 athletes qualified and were able to represent Lake Shore.

At the meet, several athletes earned personal bests due to the intense competition that pushed the team to do better. Those personal bests were achieved by junior Becca Perry and sophomore Ally Zudiema in the steeplechase, senior Robert “Gus” Wolf in the 800 with a time of 1:59, which earned him 4th place, senior Kyle Latimore in both the steeplechase and the 2 mile, junior Taylor Lawn in the 400 hurdles, senior Brain Freebern in the mile, sophomores Logan Wray and Gavin Ingrao in the 800 and mile, and senior Jon Park in the pentathlon.

For the seniors, this was their last ECIC’s of their high school career. They all worked hard and left all they could on the field and the track while still making life-long memories. For senior August Becker, who has been on the team since freshman year and who competed in pole vault and triple jump this year, said that “ECIC’s was bittersweet” for her. She was happy to compete for Lake Shore Track one more time, but was “sad to see that high school track was coming to an end”. She isn’t just leaving a school and a team, she is leaving her “second family” who “always looks out for each other”.

Faculty teacher Jeff Connors who is also a head coach as mentioned before, was very “happy and proud” of the meet this year saying, “we had a really good ECIC’s meet” and that he’s looking forward to seeing the athletes compete at sectionals this coming weekend. He is especially looking forward to seeing senior Gus Wolf compete, because as Mr. Connors additionally said, Gus “is ranked 3rd in the 800 in section 6 and has a great chance at going to States this year”, which is fantastic.

Luckily, this isn’t the end of  the track season this year. 14 Lake Shore athletes qualified for NYS Section 6 Championships this year and will go on to compete at Niagara Falls High School this coming weekend of June 1st and 2nd. Six of those athletes are ranked in the top 16 of their individual event, which is incredible.