Green and White

Coming Soon to Theaters: Films of the Summer

Alex Silfies

Over the past several months, highly-anticipated films have been breaking box office records and it appears that it won’t stop as summer is fast approaching. There are a number of movies being released this summer that look as if they may be quite popular among audiences. Movies already released, such as Avengers: Infinity War and Deadpool 2, have set the tone for cinemas worldwide as we enter the summer months and new movies that many people have been waiting for are finally released.

Avengers: Infinity War, released on April 27 in the United States, has broken box office records and continues to place in the top box office sales after more than a month of its release. According to the Internet Movie Database (IMDb), during the weekend of May 25-27, the film placed third in the results of the Top Box Office (US). In first place, the highest grossing film of the weekend was Solo: A Star Wars Story, another highly-anticipated film focused on the storyline of Han Solo set before the time of the previous “Star Wars” films. Coming in close second of the highest grossing films of that weekend was Deadpool 2, the sequel to the 2016 film about the “superhero” of the same name played by Ryan Reynolds. Deadpool 2 was released in the United States on May 18 and is heading to a $600 million box office revenue, nearly quintupling it’s $110 million film budget.

In addition to the movies that have hit theaters recently, the summer is destined to keep audiences coming to the movies with the movie releases hitting theaters soon. One of the most highly-anticipated films of the summer is Disney and Pixar’s Incredibles 2. Incredibles 2 is the long-awaited sequel coming out 14 years after The Incredibles. Picking up right where the first film left off, the “Incredibles” sequel will follow the superhero Parr family made up of Bob Parr (Mr. Incredible), Helen Parr (Elastigirl), Violet Parr, who has invisibility powers, Dash Parr, who has super-speed powers, and Jack-Jack Parr, the baby of the family whose powers are still undetermined. Incredibles 2 hits theaters June 15, and will be playing at Regal Cinemas as well as the New Angola Theater. The sequel will also be playing in 3D and IMAX 3D at various Regal Cinema locations.

There are numerous other films being released this summer for movie-goers to look forward to. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is set to be released on June 22 in the United States. The film is the sequel to the 2015 film Jurassic World and is the fifth film in the “Jurassic Park” series. Another film in the Marvel cinematic universe, Ant-Man and the Wasp, is set to be released on July 6. This is yet another sequel being released this summer as it succeeds its predecessor, Ant-Man, which was released in 2015. Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again, the sequel to the 2008 film Mamma Mia!, will be hitting theaters July 20. This is yet another sequel being released several years after its predecessor.

The summer seems to be the season of sequels in cinemas. These are only a handful of the many movies coming to theaters this summer. Be sure to keep an eye out for these movies, as well as numerous other films, being released this summer. Many of these films and a variety of other films for people of all ages will be coming to Regal Cinemas, the New Angola Theater, and other movie theaters this summer.