Green and White

Student Profile: Mathea Riley

Senior+Class+President%2C+Mathea+Riley%2C+poses+on+the+beach.+
Senior Class President, Mathea Riley, poses on the beach.

Madison Roncone

Getting involved in school is not easy for most. From incoming freshman that think getting involved isn’t cool to seniors that think no one will be there, the common thought of getting involved at school is the same throughout the years. What many students don’t know is that getting involved is more fun than they think.

Mathea Riley, the Senior Class President, has been president since her sophomore year and been involved in student government since her freshman year, has a history of getting involved in school events. Riley has been a member of the track and tennis teams, stage manager of the musical and president of the literary club. She knows what having a busy schedule is like, and manages to keep her grades above average to put her as 5th in the senior class.

Out of everything she has done throughout high school, Riley says that being the senior class president has helped her find her love for helping others.

“(Being senior class president) made me realize that high school is such a rich tapestry of different kids that all deserve to have a decent high school experience.”

Riley has planned multiple events for not only the senior class, but the rest of the school as well. She planned events for the seniors like prom and the senior class trip to Niagara Falls. Out of everything she has planned she says that her favorite events was the school walkout that took place on March 14, 2018. Students from every grade were encouraged to walkout of class at 10 a.m. and meet in the lunch courtyard for a rally about school shootings.

“My favorite that I planned out was the walkout because it meant a lot to stand up for something I believe in,” Riley said.

Riley plans on attending Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute for Physics and Philosophy. She also plans to continue to encourage others to get involved and make the most out of their situations. Thanks to Riley, many students have become more involved in the school. She has encouraged students to go out for sports teams, join the musical or join a club to pass their time. Riley has certainly left her mark on Lake Shore High School and will continue to spread her positivity throughout her life.