Green and White

Finsta Accounts are Beneficial to Users

Back to Article
Back to Article

Finsta Accounts are Beneficial to Users

Mackenzie Alvira

As many people know Instagram, is a free social media account created in 2010 as a way of posting pictures instantaneously to show user’s followers what is going on in another user’s life. All around the world Instagram became popular, from New York to London, Instagram is named the top social media outlet in the world. Users can choose to make their account public or private. Private accounts would request permission from another user if they would like to follow you, to see your posts. Being public means that anyone, even if they do not follow certain users, can view your posts. Recently a new trend was created where users of Instagram actually made a second account, usually private, where they would post their most private information about their daily lives. These accounts, commonly referred to as “finsta’s” or fake instagrams, are generally full of user’s sharing their opinions or daily life.

I believe that finsta accounts are a way for users to express themself without the pressure of being perfect. Most people with Instagram accounts feel this constant urge to post pretty pictures, get a lot of likes and have a ton of followers. They want to be popular so they post what they think is exemplary for the likes and for the attention.

With finsta accounts that stress goes away, because finstas are usually used to post low quality pictures, with a caption of a rant or how your day went. These accounts are generally private so users can say and post whatever they want to only the people they allow to follow them. They can freely share their private lives and opinion to the people the trust. Finsta accounts are a way to relieve stress after a long day, by ranting about your problems.  Although they may tend to overshare, it’s their business and they have control of what they want it post or what they choose to keep private. It’s also a way of gaining perspectives and learning more about how someone feels. When users are scrolling through instagram and come across a finsta post, generally the post gives insight on how that certain user is feeling at the moment.

As an owner of a finsta account, Brienne’ Costello states that, “I use my finsta almost as an online diary, I post a picture every day to look back on to see how much my life has changed over the months.”

Finsta accounts have a lot of positives to them. Users should continue to express themselves through the use of a private account. Finsta accounts have a lot of benefits to them. They are only visible to who the user want, users don’t need to try hard to impress people, and they can say what you want without any pressure of being the perfect Instagram user.