Green and White

Is Vaping Really Worth It?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Is Vaping Really Worth It?

Devin Bauer

By Devin

When walking into the Lake Shore High School bathrooms, it isn’t surprising to smell cotton candy, cherries, and possibly even blue raspberry. No, the school didn’t invest in scenting the bathroom; the smell is from the students. A large amount of students use the bathroom to suck on their e-cigs, vapes, juuls, junos, which then turns the bathroom into a willy-wonka smelly wonderland. The school, on the other hand, isn’t so pleased about their students illegally vaping in their bathrooms.

Vaper

Mr. Flanagan, the Lake Shore High Schools vice principal, and Mr. Besant, the districts Athletic Director, have had at least 50 cases of vaping in just the first quarter of this year, and obviously the punishments follow as well.

Some punishments dished out over the last few months vary from a slight warning to Out of School Suspension (OSS). Although OSS may seem drastic, the punishment fits because the students are actively defying a New York State law that prohibits smoking on school grounds, and vaping is a form of smoking. It may seem crazy to many that students would risk any punishment just to puff some cotton candy flavoring in the restroom. The reason they do is because many are addicted to the nicotine that the vapes distribute, according to unnamed sources. This is contrary to their design because they were originally meant to help cigarette smokers quit. Sadly, now the generation that could have eradicated nicotine now brought a whole new chapter to it.

On the other hand, according to vaping students,being caught is a totally different aspect. A handful of students get away with vaping in the bathrooms every single day, multiple times a day. This happens by others not telling teachers or school faculty, and for the few cases when students do report it, they get bullied. It almost works as a blacklist in a way. The student that tattled gets the their name spread around the bathrooms, so the vapers can be on the lookout to avoid altercations with said person.

So what do you think? Is this too much effort just to get your nicotine fix in or are you willing to risk it?