Green and White

Lake Shore Music Department’s Florida Trip

Photo+provided+by+Skift.com+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo provided by Skift.com

Photo provided by Skift.com

Photo provided by Skift.com

Photo provided by Skift.com

By: Ashley M. Klepp

From April 3-8th, the Lake Shore Music Department will be taking a trip to Universal Studios Theme Park in Orlando, Florida to compete in its music festival and participate in a workshop at the Park.

The band has participated in trips to Florida and N.Y.C. for 20 years, every other year, but this is the first year they are competing at Universal Studios.

“It’s time to try something different” Lake Shore’s Band Director Eric Blodget explained. When asked if he worries about kids in multiple ensambles, he replied, “No, I don’t. Aside from energy level and mental focus, yes, but from logistics and whether or not they are going to have the same experience as other kids I think it’s going to be great and they’ll be fine.”

This will be the second time L.S. Choral Performance travel to compete.The chorus first traveled with the band in 2017 to N.Y.C. and won first place along with the band.

“I really, kinda made the decision when we decided to go to New York, before we even got the score. It had nothing to do with the score. I just wanted the Chorus to be able to do all the things the band does,” Ms. Britttany Nichols, Lakeshore chorus director, explained. 

“I thought this would be a good way to build the chorus program and make kids want to be in chorus, with show choir and these trips… Just giving you guys something to look forward to.”

Ms. Nichols still has high expectations and hope for her chorus students. She is very excited for the students to be able to participate in the workshops and the competition, but does not have one main event that she is most excited for, except the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Jenna DeMartino, a junior in Chorus who attended the N.Y.C. trip in 2017 said “I am looking forward to being able to compete out of state with my friends, especially somewhere warm.”

When asked why she decided to participate in the Florida trip, DeMartino replied “These trips give us great exposure to not only life outside of Lake Shore, but life outside of western New York as well.”

The students will all be able to participate in a workshop at Universal Studios where they will be able to recreate music from Universals animated film “The Lorax.” Students will be able to learn more about the different music opportunities that are out in the professional world that they may not have known were an option for them. They will learn about music, sound recording, voice overs, and how an animated movie gets put together in a studio. “We will also be doing some educational workshops that are physics and math related based upon the actual rides in universal,they are going to learn some of the physical properties that make those rides work.” Mr. Blodget explained.

Students are all very excited and have already started their hard work for the competition.