Preparing for Life

Back to Article
Back to Article

Preparing for Life

Lake Shore Senior High School College Bullitan board

Noelle Gierszewski

Noelle Gierszewski

Noelle Gierszewski

By:Noelle Gierszewski

With the new year under way, Lake Shore Seniors are in the midst of applying and getting accepted to colleges.

Since Freshman year, the Class of 2019 has prepared for going on to bigger and better things. Each year they completed worksheets and started building a profile on Maia learning to help them discover what they want to do after high school.

Throughout the process, Steve Brown a Lake Shore High School counselor has been right by their side. Each year he came into classes to talk about the future. He also, set up one on one meetings to discuss what we want to do individually.

Mr. Brown discussed the college process and how he helps students achieve their goals

“Encouraging kids to challenge themselves in most important because the world is very competitive so you have to be at your best. Also, I inform kids and their parents about all the opportunities and how research is important to make the right decision.”

This year, Brown set up three days at the end of October to get kids to apply for college early. There are many challenges getting certain kids to think about their future, he states.

“Students like to put off everything off because it is very overwhelming for a young adult to make a big life decision. But if you come out of high school with a pathway it will make the student more confident and ready for life,” Brown added

Brown also stated, “In the end all of the hard work you do in high school is worth it.”

Seniors Trinity Devalle and Christina Dingleday discussed on their plans. While Trinity is only going to be a short twenty minutes away at Fredonia, Christina is going to be over two hours away at Keuka College. But both girls stated they are excited about all the new adventures to come.

Applying for college has woken many students up to all the opportunities out in the world. But it has also shown them all the financial difficulties that are to come in the real world.

Many students are beginning to look into scholarships and ways to make their college experience affordable while still gaining a education.

In just a short few months, us Seniors will be all over the country, but Lake Shore will always be where the seniors became the Class of 2019.