National Honor Society Induction

Members taking the NHS oath

Tina Merecki

Members taking the NHS oath

Noelle Gierszewski

On Tuesday April 16, 36 students were inducted into the Lake Shore Chapter of National Honor Society.

To be inducted into the chapter applicants have to go through an application process which includes an essay and recommendation letters from five teachers.

The Society prides itself on four characteristics leadership, scholarship, service and character, according to the Lake Shore chapter advisor, Kerry Feldmann

Leadership can be described as the action of leading a group of people or an organization. The applicant must provide examples of how they show leadership in school activities or in the community.

Scholarship involves the student being in good academic standing with a 92% or higher average for their high school career. Applicants also need to keep this average to stay in the society.

Service can be described as voluntary contributions made by a student to the school or community without compensation. The students have to show that they are involved in their community and work without pay. Also, throughout their Senior year they will need to get 20 hours of service to stay in the society.

The last pillar is character , Applicants must have an overall good character. Students must demonstrate honesty, courtesy, respect for others and keeps a clean disciplinary record.

This year’s event inducted thirty two juniors and four seniors. The night included a certificate ceremony followed by a reception in the cafeteria.

Adam Smith, a newly inducted senior stated, ‘“Being inducted to the National Honor Society has shown me that my hard work has paid off.”

Junior Stephanie Mruk stated, ” She was excited to join the Society because it gives her more community service opportunity and showed her that hard work pays off.”

Congratulations to everyone inducted.