Media Day

Ashley Klepp

On April 10, 2019,  five students in the Lake Shore Academy of Business and Finance attended Media Day hosted at SUNY Fredonia. The students were able to not only learn more about the college, but some of the courses and extracurriculars they offer.

Students also had the opportunity to hear from speakers, including Erica Brecher from channel 4 news and Sal Capaccio, a beat and sideline reporter for the Buffalo Bills as well as a Radio host at WGR 550.

First, the Students took tours of Fredonia’s news station. Student Elissa Norton and Noelle Gierszewski had the chance to sit on the set of “Fredonia Faces”, a college news station run by the students in a journalism major and/or minor,  and see what it was like to be in front of the camera. The students decided that Elissa should host her own show, called the Elissa Show.

“It was a really cool experience, to be up on the stage and see what is was like to have my own show.” Elissa declared.

The group also had a chance to look at the control room and see how the tech portion of the show.The students then had a chance to explore the Fredonia radio station.

“We got to see the booths and the music archives which was really cool”, Noelle G. explained. “There was A LOT of music.”

After the tours, students attended a seminar with Erica Brecher and had an opportunity to hear about her journey as a journalist and becoming a news anchor.

Following the seminar, all participants were served lunch and had an opportunity to listen to the Keynote speaker, Sal Capaccio. In his speech, Capaccio told the audience the do’s and don’ts of journalism, as well as some advice.

“Never break your subject’s trust” Capaccio advised.

He explained that the journalist needs the subject more than the subject needs the journalist.

All seniors thoroughly enjoyed the event no matter what field they were considering.